The day before their first Abbey Road recording session, The Beatles drove from Liverpool to London.
Although the session didn’t begin until 7pm on Wednesday 6 June, they were taking no chances. They stayed in the capital the night before, to ensure they would not be hindered by traffic jams, bad weather or anything else that might put at risk their chances of securing a coveted recording contract with EMI.
Also on this day...
- 2015: Paul McCartney live at Nouveau Stade Vélodrome, Marseille, France
- 1968: Recording: Don’t Pass Me By
- 1964: Television: Treslong, Hillegom, Netherlands
- 1963: Live: Odeon Cinema, Leeds
- 1961: Live: Top Ten Club, Hamburg
Want more? Visit the Beatles history section.